Over the course of 9 months in 2017, my partner and I sold all of our possessions, including 2 vehicles, and a house full of stuff. In order to sell the house for its maximum value, we also completed 3 months of renovations that had been lingering for over 3 years. We wrapped up 2 businesses and left a town and tight knit community that we both cherished. We did all of this in order to seek out a life of freedom, away from the hustle and bustle of the 9-5 life, but most importantly, we did it so that we could travel. This is our story…….
In less than a week, we will have been on the road, and away from Canada, for 10 months. While everyday is definitely not perfect, there have been many more seemingly perfect days while we have been abroad, then we would have experienced back home.
Letting go of all of our possessions has allowed us the freedom to live life on our terms. To experience the world without a schedule, without anyone dictating our time or how we spend our days. It has been an ebb and flow of trying to figure out what works for us. What works in some places, definitely doesn’t necessarily work in others, but we adjust as we go. We figure it out each and every time.
It occurred to me the other day that we have had some pretty wild experiences in the short 10 months since we have been gone. And it excites me to no end to know that we certainly wouldn’t have had half of these experiences had we have stayed in Canada.
To me, this is what life is all about. Life is a culmination of our experiences. They are what shape us, they are what make us who we are. Without our experiences to broaden our perspectives, we would be empty shells, robots in a sense. I believe that having new experiences is what life is all about. Only then do we grow and change as humans. Only then do we become new people everyday.
Traveling, to me, is the ultimate experience. It creates a platform for new and different things to happen each and every day. Around every corner, in fact, is a new experience that is waiting to happen. Around every corner is an adventure waiting to unfold. THIS is what travelling is all about! This is what makes it exciting, challenging, and soul enhancing. I crave these new experiences, and I will never stop seeking them out and searching for those ones, that I know, are just sitting and waiting, lurking in the corner, seemingly begging for me to find them.
And so, in no particular order, here is a list of 50 experiences that we can think of that have happened in the last ten months to either one of us, or both of us, and I am sure we are missing many…..
- Had 2 hammocks break while we were sitting in them.
- Encountered 2 wild snakes, both more than 6 feet long.
- Saw 2 wild crocodiles in 2 different rivers.
- Ridden in boats across 2 different lakes, one of which we cross everyday from our rented house near Flores.
- Experienced 2 earthquakes.
- Had our house struck by lightening.
- Had food poisoning once.
- Been sick with parasites twice.
- Had an infection on my foot so bad that I had to seek out antibiotics.
- Watched a sea turtle dig it’s nest and lay eggs.
- Sat face to face with a sloth as it hung from a low branch.
- Walked with a sloth as it crawled along the ground after falling out of a tree.
- Seen numerous volcanoes, one that was actually smoking.
- Visited ancient temples and ruins.
- Had huge toads come into our rented house every night for 3 weeks straight.
- Painted a mural.
- Witnessed political unrest and war break out in Nicaragua.
- Crossed the Panama/Costa Rica border once.
- Crossed the Nicaragua/Costa Rica border twice.
- Been on 5 airplanes.
- Rented 2 houses in local villages with Spanish speaking neighbours.
- Bought handmade tortillas, made that morning, from our neighbours that made them, in two different places.
- Housesat 3 houses.
- Took care of 4 dogs.
- Swam under the full moon, in the ocean, at midnight on New Years Eve.
- Went 24 hours with no water in our house.
- Experienced multiple power outages.
- Walked down the street with a propane tank in a wheel barrow to refill it for our stove.
- Ate tons of street food that was to die for.
- Made a bazillion new friends.
- Saw numerous Toucans, Parrots and Scarlett Macaws.
- Visited an epic waterfall.
- Saw numerous monkeys.
- Helped build an earth bag home.
- Got stung by a sting ray.
- Zip Lined.
- Volunteered at a Music Festival.
- Had a visit from a tree frog inside our house.
- Witnessed several incredible sunsets.
- Slept in our tent on top of our bed to keep the bugs and snakes away from us at night.
- Saw 2 tarantulas in the wild.
- Saw various scorpions.
- Rode in the back of numerous pick up trucks.
- Ate traditional Mayan food at a neighbourhood barbecue.
- Witnessed incredible handicrafts in Panajachel, Guatemala. Literally mountains of woven textiles, carvings, beadwork and much much more!
- Attended a one week Digital Nomad retreat.
- Shopped at numerous local markets, buying our produce direct from farmers and other food producers.
- Opened numerous fresh coconuts to drink the water and eat the meat!
- Learned to make local dishes wherever we go.
- Ridden in numerous tuk tuks, buses and collectivos to get from points A to B.
Like I said……I KNOW there are many more, but you get the idea. Life is an adventure, and each day brings new and exciting experiences.
Although there are some items on this list that I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy, at the same time, I wouldn’t take any of them back. ALL of these experiences are shaping us to be the people that we are now, and they are making us who we will be in the future.
As the old saying goes “What doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger.”
So true, so very very true.
What new and exciting experiences have you had in the last nine months? I would love to hear all about them in the comments below.
Thanks for reading! Please know that above all else, I aim to inspire others to just get out and see the world. Traveling is such an enriching experience, and I can’t even comprehend how much it has shaped me as an individual. If you have ANY questions, or need travel advice of ANY kind, PLEASE don’t hesitate to email me at the address below! I will do my very best to help you in any way I can!
Xoxoxo Happy Travels!
Current Location: We are currently in Flores, Guatemala. We have rented a house and expect to stay here until mid September at least.
Travelling Plans: We are considering the possibility of heading up to Mexico for a couple months after we are finished with our house here. Then we will be returning to Guatemala to housesit for 6 weeks starting November 26th.
To head back to the beginning of our journey, and the moment we decided to sell all of our possessions to travel the world, click here.
To see many more travelling photos and videos, and to learn about where we are travelling, please follow our Facebook and Instagram accounts by clicking on the appropriate icon in the right hand column.
To learn about where I have previously traveled, visit my Countries Page.
To see all of my blog post headings on one page, (including all of the ones about letting our stuff go) head over to my Blog Post Menu.
To contribute to our Patreon account, please click here.
To email me directly, please do so anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you like my writing, and want to follow along on our journey, please put your email address in the right hand column to subscribe. That way all of my posts will go straight to your email inbox:)